Saturday, March 21, 2009

National Water Day

Did you know that March 22 is National Water Day?  I didn't even know there was a day dedicated to water.  Not that the fluid that flows through our bodies isn't important enough to have it's own day, a month, a year....oh heck a whole lifetime.  After all, Earth is about 72% water, the human body is on average 65% water, nothing grows without water, we wouldn't be here without water.  So one could say that water is pretty darn important, at least enough to be recognized once a year.


Water is pretty amazing.  I was reading the website dedicated to celebrating water and the one thing that impressed me most was the fact that water connects us no matter where we are. Besides air, which we can't see, water is the one thing we can see, feel, taste, and hear that connects people from city to city, country to country and continent to continent.  

215x124button 

"In 2009, the theme for World Water Day is "Shared Water - Shared Opportunities". Special focus will be placed on transboundary waters. Nurturing the opportunities for cooperation in transboundary water management can help build mutual respect, understanding and trust among countries and promote peace, security and sustainable economic growth. " (UN Water)

I said earlier that Earth is about 72% water, yet with so much water at our finger tips, there are still so many without clean water and that is just sad.  Those of us privileged enough to have access to water are so spoiled.   How often do we leave the faucet running, or dump perfectly clean water down the drain...crazy huh?   

"Each day, more than a billion people in developing countries must walk long distances to get the water they need for drinking, cooking and bathing. Often, this water is contaminated. WaterPartners helps people in developing countries obtain safe drinking water and basic sanitation (toilets). Working in partnership with those in need, WaterPartners has transformed more than 200 communities in eight countries - Bangladesh, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Honduras, Guatemala, India, Kenya, and the Philippines - with access to a safe, reliable source of water and basic sanitation." (Water Partners International)

Water_partners_logo 

While we have access to all the water we choose to use in any way, many times we simply forget to drink water, knowing quite well how important it is to drink plenty of clear fluids.  I admit, I am guilty of not drinking nearly enough water on days when I don't workout or when I get busy doing something at home or when I don't feel like moving from my couch or desk.  I can come up with a million reasons, none good enough.  My most common reason, I get tired of the lack of flavor.  I sometimes want a twist of something except I don't always have something to twist into my water.  

I think most know that drinking water is important but there are always questions as to how much is enough.  I say, look at your pee -- if it's too yellow then you may need to drink more water, also if you exercise, if you sweat, if ...well, drink water everyday.  The Mayo Clinic reports that 

"Water is your body's principal chemical component, making up, on average, 60 percent of your body weight. Every system in your body depends on water. For example, water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.  Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don't have enough water in your body to carry out normal functions. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired."

To get a better glimpse of the functions of water in the body, check this out:

Fn7_waterinbody 

Recently I've been reading my water labels more often - I don't always buy water but when I do I read the label because--did you know, some waters have more sugar than a cookie.  What's that about?  Anyway, in my search for something a little different I came across HINT. It's an interesting name because I thought it was trying to give me a hint that I should drink more water.  In reality it's just water with a twist of something fruity, contains no sugar, no calories, no fat, so nothing, contains nothing.  I have never tried it but I will soon and then I will share how I really feel about this new beverage everyone is talking about.  Have you tried HINT?  Any thoughts?
Hint bottles 

In the mean time I will continue to do my part to preserve this precious resource as much as possible, do what I can to contribute to the improvement of water quality around the world and help in any way I can to bring water to those in need.  "Water is life. Turn it on."

Cross posted at BlogHer and Family in Shape

5 comments:

  1. This has to be one of the best informational posts ever - thanks for reminding me of how important water is to my body!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yira,
    Thanks you for the interesting posts...Water is important for ou health...I drink 6- 8oz. a day...suppose to drink 8...Thanks for sharing...Thanks you for stopping by and sweet comments..katherinellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad that some countries don't have what we just take for granted. Thanks for all the info. about water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know there was a Water recognition day. I think that's cool. I wish it were broadcasted and the info was shared a bit more though. I admit I do not drink enough water but I'm making an effort to remedy that. I actually drank 4 full glasses yesterday which is about 4 more then I usually drink, lol!
    I'm thinking too that people need to realize and accept how precious water truly is, especially those of us in the drought effected areas. I only water 2x a week, no more then 15-20 mins each time and we're still on drought alerts and a type of rationing here, yet the other day I saw a person 'washing' their car in the driveway and washing down the driveway!!! It seriously upset me knowing they were being wasteful. The "u wash" drive through car wash is only $4 and that water get recycled. C'mon!
    okay, enough of my rant, lol!
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete