Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Not a high energy day

Yesterday I made the mistake of taking Zyrtec to get some allergy relief. I mean I was desperate. My eyes and throat were itchy, I just felt miserable and could not stop sneezing. Why a mistake? Well because although the effects kicked in right away, the drowsiness didn't come into play until this morning, when I had to get up. I felt like I was up all night drinking (no I wasn't, not even a glass of wine) but let me tell you, I sure was whining this morning.

Photo by bherman

I am so jealous of this cat!

On top of feeling cruddy, I had to go to the gym to teach a spinning class. That requires a lot of energy and at least at some level, mental alertness. I figured I would drink some coffee, tea, a high B vitamin sports drink. I ate some carbs too which helped only to make me fill too full and the calories were very temporary. By midday I was beat and ready for a nap. Of course this would all happen on the day of the week g6 has a 1/2 day so napping was out of the question.

Needless to say, there was no "early morning peace" for me today. Instead I was jittery because of the extra caffeine and feeling bloated because of the bagel and toast I ate instead of my usual healthy breakfast.

Class went well and I did get my adrenaline rush kick in time to give and get an excellent workout. However, for those of you who don't know it or realize it, nothing sabotages a healthy eating and exercise plan like being tired, whatever the reason. Next time I think I'll fight my urges for quick energy a little harder and try to avoid those nasty pitfalls.

I think I'll take that little pill much, much earlier in the day so that I'm most tired at night and not in the morning. I don't ever want to give up my early morning peace again. I need it for mental sanity, plus it sets the rest of my day on the right track.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I noticed you were a fitness trainer. Come join me over at http://www.IowaAvenue.com - it's a healthy living social community. You can blog over there as well.

    ReplyDelete