Wednesday, January 2, 2013

One little word...or two- Listen and Learn

OneLittleWord 2013


I came across this idea today when I was reading Dining with Debbie and other bloggers, and I felt inspired to read more.  The idea, as I understand it is to come up with a word which will be the starting point to define your life this year and beyond.  I've given this some thought, sat silently and just waited for a word to come to me instead of trying to define one that fits me now.

Each and every time the first thing that popped into my mind was LISTEN and LEARN.  My answer was always listen to whom and what exactly am I supposed to learn?  Almost gave up on this idea until I realized I just wasn't being quiet enough.

With these two words as my words for 2013 I plan to...

LISTEN to my kids stories from school, the playground, or last night's dreams and LEARN how they think and how I can connect with them through their story telling.

LISTEN to my husband even when he's not saying a word and LEARN how I can improve our communication and make our time together mean more.

LISTEN to my friends, my neighbors, my family members and LEARN about their day, their lives, their worries and their triumphs.

and most important...

LISTEN to myself and my thoughts and my feelings and LEARN how I can be more thankful for all that I have, learn to accept myself as I am, learn to be more forgiving of my own mistakes and instead learn to how to get up gracefully when I fall.

Personally speaking, I have been hard on myself. I've allowed the opinions of others affect my performance, my mood, my energy and positive outlook. But I realize that I can only change me and what others think they know about me is not something I should allow to change who I am.

I have a feeling there will be a lot more I learn through these words...lets just see where it takes me. This year is going to be a great year, just like all the years of my life when I've been able to get up to see another day, take care of my family, work, study, learn and enjoy life to its fullest!

Visit Lisa Leonard to read more inspirational words and learn more about this amazing project!

Adios,

Terie

No comments:

Post a Comment