Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Invictus" : unconquered

Photo by Tere Cornelio "Girl Scout Beach, Guantanamo bay" (2009)

Last night I went to the movies with a group of fantastic moms. We went to see Invictus, a movie I knew would be great simply because of who was involved in writing, directing and acting in it.

I went to see it without first trying to figure out what Invictus meant because I wanted to just get it all from the movie. I felt passion, determination, wisdom and strength to push through to reach my own goals. It really was an inspiring movie. You have to go see it.

So today I got up thinking about this quote from the movie:

"I am master of my fate, I am captain of my soul."

I could not get it out of my head because it really reminded me that only I can control what happens next and how I feel in any situation. Then I thought I'd look up the word Invictus and found out it means unconquered. Then I came across a poem written by William Ernest Henley (1875), I remembered reading this poem during my English Literature class a few years ago and here it is.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

It still gives me goosebumps to read this. Go see the movie, read the poem, share your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. I put it on my list to see, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yira - hope the New Year brings you many blessings!
    This is one movie I've got to see.
    Take care.
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yira,
    Firstly thanks for coming to visit me in Normandy!
    The poem is very inspirational and I shall be sending it to my sister who is having a tough time at the moment.
    I doubt the film will ever reach rural France but if it's ever on SKY I'll make a point of watching.
    Happy Blue Monday.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jeanette-I hope you'll share your thoughts when you see it. Enjoy it.
    @Corinne-Thanks for the well wishes in the New Year. Right back at ya!
    @Maggie-You mean I was in Normandy today already...I'm so productive today. I hope these words will give your sister the courage to go on and see the light at the end of the tunnel. I do hope you get to see the movie, maybe an online rental after it comes out on video will work.

    *Best to all of you and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete