Monday, January 18, 2010

Blue Monday - decorating with colors

I love to be surrounded by colors so it goes without saying that my white kitchen just wasn't going to make me happy while living in Guantanamo Bay. We are allowed to paint, however, I'd have to paint it all back to white and I'm not sure I even want to tackle that job. It's military housing - what can I say.
Notice the only color here are my little yellow flowers and better yet the sky and water I could see out of the kitchen window. Makes standing by the sink so pleasant.

So I decided I would add splashes of color here and there and everywhere. I went to celebrate a friend's birthday the other day and the came out with these really cool and colorful plates. It's like a rainbow staring back at me. I love them and want to take them with me but they wont let me..boo hoo!! I will visit the thrift store first but I think I will end up ordering a stack of colorful items to liven up my all too white kitchen.

I think my entire house will need color so I may have to rely on colorful valances and window treatments, maybe even some pillows and throws...hmmm. The wheels are spinning like you wouldn't believe!
~~~~~~~
Blue Monday is hosted by Smiling Sally.
Visit Sally today to participate and see the blues others are sharing.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. All white is a bit sterile, isn't it. I think those colors would liven your spirit's up a bit. Lovely view out your window. Your flowers and sponge show up wonderfully against the white.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like white walls in a house and add color with other things. You will come up with something to brighten your kitchen up. It looks so neat and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is like a clean slate that you can dress up in any colors that you want, and then put away the accessories and go for a different color.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, Yira. I wouldn't bother painting and then painting again, but you do need color. Your solutions will do the job! Happy Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the blues in your kitchen very attractive

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cindy- I guess the whole sterile thing is what gets to me, although LV and Susan make a good point - looks really clean when we're done in there and it provides a clean slate for me to switch up every season. Thank you all for stopping by and words of encouragement..Smiles!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, your photos are both wonderful. I would use spots of color rather than repaint the walls. I hope you are having a great Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really thought you had grabbed a picture from a decorators site and was surprised that this was your kitchen...honest I am! I love the white and how amazing is that view? I hope you will keep us updated with your updates. Much love to you this week, Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sky view out your kitchen window is awesome. Great idea to brighten up with colored plates. Maybe a little window topper in red or whatever? Just don't block that view ;)
    Happy Blue Monday and thank you (or your spouse) for serving our Country~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you're onto a great start. The colors are bold and will surely stand out on the white background. ~ Yoli :)

    ReplyDelete