Thursday, September 17, 2009

Foodie Friday: Mac 'N Cheese with Pep!

This is a family favorite and to be honest, we all talked about our Josh, now in college, because he is so in love with food and this was one of his favorites.  Gosh, we really miss him.  I hope you all like this easy recipe.  Be sure to stop in over at Michael's at Designs By Gollum for links to more fabulous Foodie Friday recipes.


Mac 'N Cheese with Pep


Feel free to substitute the Pep with any meat such as sausage, chicken, prosciutto, bacon, it's limitless.  Also, the cheese can be any combination you like, from strong flavored to mild and light.  We love lots of cheese so we mix it up and go with a lot of cheese.  Here are the instructions and ingredients.  Enjoy.

1 cup elbow macaroni
1 cup milk
1 cup cheese (we used italian and sharp cheddar)
1/4 Italian flavored bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1/4 cup chopped pepperoni

 

 

 

  


Cook the macaroni according to directions on the box minus a few minutes.  You want these to be al dente because they will cook longer in the over and you don't want them to be soggy.

Set your oven to 350 degrees.

While you wait, whip the eggs a little bit, combine eggs and milk.

Add eggs and milk to drained macaroni.  Add the cheese and pepperoni.

Sprinkle a layer of bread crumbs over the pasta.

Sprinkle with cheese and then again a little more bread crumbs.  This will make the best crust ever!


Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes.  Don't let it dry up, you want to take it out of the over while you could still see milk bubbling.  Let it sit for about 5 minutes before serving!

Voila!


12 comments:

  1. Great taste, great idea. I love this combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are big fans of mac & cheese. I definately will make this within the week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me what is Pep.We do not know it here in Belgium.
    We make our mac and cheese dry, without the egg and the milk.We just combine layers of pasta with cooked ham and cheese. Top it with cheese and breadcrumbs and bake it in the oven.
    We also make another version with a white sauce, cooked ham, stewed leeks and carrots and cheese.
    Mix all together and top with more cheese and breadcrumbs and bake in the oven.
    Come and see how I make easy canned plums and pears.
    Thanks for your great recipie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yira-I'm so glad you like my music. I love all versions but it is one of my favorites. Mac and cheese with an Italian flair sounds delicious! It's hard to send them off to college, isn't it :)? He'll be home asking for this recipe before you know it (and probably eating you out of house and home!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm..can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey everyone. Glad you stopped in to check out my mac and cheese. Notice there's nothing green so the picky eaters have no problem with this one, however, we do serve veggies like green beans, carrots and raw spinach which the kids will nibble on.

    @Pop - Pep as in Pepperoni, kind of like salami but a little smaller and spicy. My friend made it with sweet italian saussage and added chopped tomatoes, she said it was delicious, like eating pizza sort of.

    @Susan - yes I miss my boy. I sent him a box of gooddies the other day and he was so excited to see familiar foods. I can't wait for the first school break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would be a welcome dish to my pepperoni loving family. I often add ham, but haven't thought about pepperoni. Thank for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so down-home, old-fashioned good. No wonder your son loved it. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mac N Cheese is one of the only foods my little GS will even consider eating these days:) Such a great comfort food for any age.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Yira!
    I love the pictures that accompany the recipe. Thanks for sharing this! It looks delicious!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so terrific. Mac n cheese are a favorite here and I need to learn how to make a great one. Will definitely give this a tryout! Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete