Sunday, October 31, 2010

Be Happy Make Happy


I started my own little campaign. It's called Be Happy Make Happy.

Why?

Because I have had to realize very quickly that people and events will make me sad and how I react to them will determine how I make others feel.

Little things have happened around me that caused a serious wave of anxiety, anger, betrayal, the list goes on.  Bottom line, intentionally or not, people have done things that to me seem unprofessional and lacking of good moral character.  My immediate response was to run and find them and ask them WHY did you lie, WHY did you betray my trust, WHY couldn't you extend me the professionalism and courtesy I deserve.  Thankfully I had too much to do, too many kids to entertain and I had to exercise self control.

After a good nights rest and reading several pages of inspirational quotes and stories my mind was once again at peace. 

I place a high moral value on the way people behave. I find it repellent to have a lot, and to behave with anything other than courtesy in the old sense of the word - politeness of the heart, a gentleness of the spirit."~ Fran Lebowitz
This was the first quote I found and it was the one that started the process of letting go.  Understanding in my own mind that while I expect people to be courteous it doesn't mean it's going to happen and I need to learn to let go.

My friend Lori later sent me this little quote in FaceBook:

Speak when you are angry--and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret.- Laurence J. Peter
This really hit closest to my heart because I was ready to send a typed message saying everything that was going through my head, in the end I did not and IT was the best decision I'll never regret.  Today, Sunday morning I woke up feeling refreshed and thinking only of how I could continue to bring happiness to the people in my life, the people that matter.  So I visited my friend Lance at the Jungle of Life and found this truly amazing quote:

"What you do for yourself – any gesture of kindness, any gesture of gentleness, any gesture of honesty and clear seeing toward yourself – will affect how you experience your world. In fact, it will transform how you experience the world. What you do for yourself you're doing for others, and what you do for others, you're doing for yourself." ~ Pema Chödrön
This message sums it all up for me.  Treating myself with civility, kindness, love, and honesty help me to do the same for everyone else.  No matter what you do or say or how I may feel in the moment, I will come back to you and I will treat you with courtesy and kindness.  I will accept you for who you are and in time, maybe, you will begin to see that I will not let your attitudes and behavior change mine.

I am happy, therefore, I will make others happy!

Terie

5 comments:

  1. Amen! I'm so on board with the campaign! Let's do it! :D We can be the light in dark times because everyone needs that light in order to see clearly. I'm so proud of you - you are insightful and have such quality of character. Now... who can we make happy today...? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terie,
    At this moment, I am very much feeling the happiness in your heart...as it reaches out through your words...and connects to my heart. And isn't that a beautiful thing - how your happiness is - at this very moment - bringing extra happiness into my life. Mmmm...wonderful... (just like you...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive campaign! You make me smile and I truly appreciate all that you do!

    Your blog reminds me of this quote -

    My creed is this:

    Happiness is the only good.
    The place to be happy is here.
    The time to be happy is now.
    The way to be happy is to make others so.

    ~Robert Ingersoll

    Terie, you are amazing and I am so lucky to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, Teri - well said! May your beautiful sentiment spread far and wide :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete